Monday, August 6, 2007

lost at sea

(picture from flickr by Sikario)

I had this friend for years. Let’s call him Reeter Peneehan. We were pals, buddies and did everything together ALL THE TIME. we shared secrets, heard each other cry, complain, supported one another, etc. It wasn’t romantic at all; it was just a really good friendship.

I introduced him to my girlfriends and we would spend the summers together at the beach, on his boat, teasing each other about who we were dating. Yes, we teased him more, but that was only cause there were more of us.

So about a year and a half ago he started dating this woman, who we were interested in hearing about (especially after hearing all the shit-talking he did) but then it happened. He told us we couldn’t. she wouldn’t ALLOW it.

I’m sorry, what?

So conflicted, we still hung out with him had laughs drinks and boat rides but it started to get weird. He seemed unhappy, and wouldn’t stop talking about it.

Then we learned that we weren't the only ones banned. Any and ALL of his friends that were girls were cut out of his life.

Soon he had to start sneaking around to see us which we quickly stopped. This was ridiculous, now HE wasn’t allowed to see us.

It was that February that I went to Israel for 2 weeks and I remember it, because he couldn’t see me off.

He would call us and ask to meet secretly, but that seemed wrong.

I wanted to meet this person, if not to tell her that I was dating someone and Reeter was just my friend. Seriously.

Then this summer, more than a year later we found out he married her.

Anne has written him off, she says he’s dead to her. But for me and Lindsey it’s really different. I love Reeter, he was my friend for years and to not be allowed to see him at all to be cut off from his friendship is really hard.

So yesterday we were on the ferry and as we passed his house, Anne Lindsey and I saw him on his porch. Linds and I waved (Anne gave him the finger) and he saw us, he stared.

I know we have to respect his wishes and his wife’s feelings. But I miss him, we miss him and hope that he’s happy.

And I know deep down Anne does too.

No comments: