Monday, November 12, 2007

a room of one's own

(my lovely friend Maureen)

Roy and I went to see my friend Maureen & Nathaniel this weekend up in CT. “UP” being the operative word.

Their house is 2 hours by train from NYC and although I was a little bit slow that morning and the trip to the Grand Central was a vicious, skull-ripping and unrelenting example of the depths of hell—I loved being up there.

Because we were late to getting home on Friday night and because the WATER.WAS. SHUT. OFF. It took a while to get up and out of the apartment, we sprinted up and down stairs, maneuvered our ways through subway booths and slow pedestrians like first draft NFL rookies. I was thinking, we might be pretty good at “The Amazing Race”. Interesting...Israeli and Greenwich girl win it all on CBS game show--I can see it now....ahhhhhhh.

Anyway, I digress.

So we made it onto the train and arrived in one piece, Nathaniel graciously picked us up and we were off. I have to admit it, I missed the country. I used to drive on these same roads ALL.THE.TIME. when my brother went to school in upstate CT, and breathing in the aromatic Fall air, all discomfort and gruesome fatigue dissolved.

The party was impeccably planned and Maureen’s friends were all (as expected) lovely. Many cupcakes and caramel apples were consumed (couldn’t be helped) and we recharged by the bonfire.

What a luxury it is to have a place of one’s own, where you can shed the impurities of the city and sit in absolute silence around a fire (save the faint sounds of the new James Blunt album), see stars that seem well within reach and begin to feel close to human again.

From the corner of my eye I could see Moe decompressing as well and to me, at that moment everything was brilliant and amazing.

Take a train ride upstate, get lost, find yourself.

I highly recommend it.

(pics from an older trip to CT, these are from Sharon CT which is not too far from where we were.)



2 comments:

Douglas said...

YOu have to get pst my brother and I to win The Race .... http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race12/application/application.pdf

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....strange. water surprisingly returned just when you left.