Friday, November 9, 2007

Rafi Po (Rafi's here)


Rafi:
(Rah-Fee)
The word Rafi is of Arabic origin, and its meaning is "holding high" or "servant of the exalted one".
The Hebrew root of the name "Rafi" is "Rafael" which means "healed by God." The Hebrew root "rofe" means "heal," and "El" is a name for God.

Famous Rafi's include:
Abu al-Rafi ibn Abu al-Huqayq, a chieftain of Jewish tribes
Rafi Amit, a poker player from Israel
Rafael ('Rafi') Eitan, an Israeli leader
Rafi Izbicki, an Israel Defense Forces spokesperson
Rafi Yoeli, Israeli inventor
Rafi (political party), a political party in Israel during the 1960s

BUT.

Most importantly, "Raffi" was the singer (he's still a singer) that sang one of my favorite songs when I was little, "Baby Beluga." Below is a scene from one of my favorite childhood shows (Full House), explaining that my affection for Raffi was pretty much a cultural phenomenon:



I've yet to see if Roy's friend Rafi can do this dance, or sing this song...we're going to Shawna's birthday party tonight, so perhaps he'll bust out the moves.

(I'll let you know)

Either way, I am so excited that he's come to visit, he's one of the first friends of Roy that I met (I think it was on our 4th date) and as always, it's wonderful to see him.

No comments: