Tuesday, September 4, 2007

road to nowhere

Was stuck on the subway this morning. When I say STUCK I mean I was trapped underground for an hour UNDER THE WATER between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

I was reading my book, eating my Kirsch-approved protein bar so it wasn't bad. FOR. THE. FIRST. 10 MINUTES.

When I got out of the station in NYC, I climbed the stairs and planned to head back to Brooklyn, figuring that it was not in the cards for me to go into the city. HA.

At the top of the stairs there was NO ONE. A screen closed the main entrance to the subway and there was NO ONE there. At the opposite track, I saw some MTA workers and asked them if the downtown trian was running. He said I just missed it, it had just left on the UPTOWN EXPRESS TRACK.

"Oh, really?" I asked, "What an idiot I am, I totally missed the sign."

"Oh," he chuckled "there wasn't a sign. There's no service on these tracks right now."

"Ahhh," I said, "so yo guys are the idiots, thanks."

Maybe I was too harsh, but this is the second time that I've been shocked by the inability of this city's subway system to advise their customers of delays. The GREATEST city in the world has a subway system that can't communicate properly with its customers. When I was stuck on the train, the announcer came on to tell us there was a delay because of bad wires between West 4th and 59th street and we would be moving shortly. What the Hell does that mean?? That was all he said, that's it.

There was no thought process involved, why not try to get the train to the next station, try to get the people off or something!

I thought of airplanes, and how even though we all laugh and mostly ignore it, we all pretty much know where the exits are on a plane and what should be done in an emergency. There are lighted exits, slides and safety seats. But, in the subway, you're literally trapped...

...like a rat.

No comments: