Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hummus by any other name...

...is crap.

Ok, so I'm finally here...
...and it's wonderful.

There are Jasmine, Olive, Fig and Mango trees everywhere I turn and smiling faces I missed more than I realized in only a years' time.

This visit has been much more relaxed than last time as I've met everyone I needed to (roughly a million relatives, if you asked me this time last year) and I'm taking it easy.

The day I got here, we had Rosh Hashana dinner and the next few days were spent recovering from that feast as well as barbecues and trips up to the country

(a beautiful hostel on a cliff overlooking the sea of Galilee) and A. LOT. OF. EATING.

I think today was a culmination of that feasting mentality when Roy took me to his, and apparently every Israeli's favorite hummus (pronounced HOO-MOOSE here). There was a line like I have never seen, it was like Grimaldi's in Brooklyn but in Hebrew.

My kind of place.
No menu.
No smiles.

Just a plate of onions, some hot sauce and a cola if you want some or water.
That's it.

The hummus comes in a shallow bowl and you pour the hot sauce on top. then they throw some pita your way and that's it.

Let me get this out of the way. I do not like Hummus.

ok? I know, what a crime.

But I just don't have a taste for it.

Today, on the other hand, was different. It was silky and light with some whole chickpeas for texture and so much flavor.

I have to admit that Roy had to help me finish my troth-o-hummus, but I kind of let him because he dreams about this place every time I buy a tub of some toothpaste thick stuff back in NY.

I'll probably still be tasting it later on tonight, so I'll give you a proper review tomorrow.

No comments: