Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Parting is such sweet sorrow…and all that jazz

Roy left for his trip.
Let me just get it out of the way and tell you that I couldn’t be happier for him, really.
It’s not everyone who gets a chance to press the “do not disturb” button on their busy lives, only to come back to it rested and refocused later.
In order to not be weepy and weird when he left I decided in my infinite wisdom to go on vacation when he was getting ready to go. This way I wouldn’t have to see him leave, I could say good-bye and be okay on my own while he was at home leaving.
A lot of people have told me that what I’m doing is really impressive and that they’re not sure if they could spend a good part of the summer away from their loved one, blah, blah, blah. I don’t mean to discount their feelings but when they seem impressed I silently smile and nod, knowing that they can’t do it because they’re not us. Reasonably speaking it is difficult to see someone go, or to be alone in an apartment that seemed crowded not a week earlier, but its part of being a friend, and a partner.
Ok, enough dr. phil. Let it be said at once that while roy is away, I am not cowering in the corner of the apartment scratching the days into the wall shawshank redemption-style. I am having what I like to affectionately call, “the summer of sarah” and whatever that entails, it entails.
This summer is about:
  • tan lines
  • slumber parties
  • fruity drinks by the pool
  • late night dinners with Maureen at grimaldi’s
  • ice cream and entourage
  • cooking dinner for friends
  • seeing chick flicks (although roy is really good at going)
  • pop tarts
  • my herb garden
  • book club
  • running
  • volunteering
  • visiting friends
…and fun.

This summer will NOT be about:
  • Leaving NPR on for Jack (he prefers Z100 anyway)
  • Eating quinoa
  • Going to the film forum (I kiddddd, ok I might go…I mean, if it’s hailing and I need to take shelter and for some odd reason I am near there, I will definitely go inside.)
  • Being sad and pathetic
  • Eating at siggy’s
  • Going to bed at 10pm
  • Letting jack sleep on my stomach…it’s not funny and his freakish ability to balance ANYWHERE is irritating.
  • Having to shave my legs!
……PS am joking, relax.

No comments: