Thursday, February 28, 2008

life is precious


I went to my great aunt's funeral on Sunday and most likely will be attending my aunt's funeral this weekend.

It got me thinking about the importance of happiness. How we scurry away at our jobs, racing to catch that carrot just beyond our grasp. Despite all the distractions or promises of love or happiness, we seem blind and jaded, only focused on how to further our own ambition.

It made me realize how lucky I am. How wonderful my family is, my love, and my life. The people I saw last weekend were (and are) grieving, but not for the deceased, for themselves.

My great aunt was a firecracker, a yoga enthusiast for over 30 years, a dancer, artist, poet and incredible mother. She had 3 VERY different children in every way, and it was her nurturing and strength that helped them become and remain who they are today.

I hope to leave a legacy like that for myself. I hope to be able to share in a life well lived and well-loved. This is what is important.

This is what matters.

Please understand, I don’t mean to be morbid. I am just taking things in stride and enjoying a much needed jolt in perspective.

No comments: