Wednesday, May 18, 2011

UPPA Baby vs. City Mini


I couldn't help it. I was seduced by a stroller.

I was in one of those baby stores that piles their inventory from floor to ceiling and was totally overwhelmed. The City Mini seemed like the sensible choice: it was really light, the baby could sleep totally flat and with one hand, it folded in half. DONE!

Now almost 9.5 months later, I cannot stand it. The basket is teeny and very hard to access, the wheels always squeak (no matter how much WD-40 we use) and I haven't done that sexy one-handed fold since we bought it.

I had imagined myself jumping into a cab at a moment's notice or heading down to the subway with my City Mini in one hand, tiny child in the other....yeah, right.

So, a few weeks ago I went to that same giant baby store and checked out the strollers. A good friend of mine has the UPPA, so I headed there first.

After talking to a NEW sales associate, I was in love (again).

I could add a second seat, I could move the chair to face me OR to face out, the basket was HUGE and easily accessible from front or back, it came with a bassinet and it wasn't that heavy ( I have an elevator in my building anyway).

But with a $679.00 price tag, there was no way I could switch.

I tried to put it out of my mind until last week when one of the Yahoo groups I belong to had a listing for an UPPA.

For about an eighth the price, they were selling their stroller and threw in a Boogie Board, rain cover and travel bag.

Long story long, I left with an UPPA!!!!

The only catch was the small broken part in the basket. I called their customer support and the super chipper Susan, helped me and sent me my part FOR FREE overnight.

I couldn't be happier with my new stroller. Buying that City Mini was only one of many baby purchases I made that didn't work out (will post some more). I thought I knew what I should buy and was convinced I didn't need any of that "cheesy" baby stuff.

Did you ever buy anything for your baby that was a total disaster?

No comments: