Tuesday, May 29, 2007

how the brother half lives


if anything, i have had an interesting relationship with my brother. i love him dearly, but often times i could substitute another less positive verb in its place.

recently, *don’t tell him* he’s begun to grow on me--not in the eww, gross i-think-that-might-be-a-fungus sorta way. i’ve found myself texting him for his advice and eagerly awaiting his response and really actually listening to what he has to say. although it might seem a silly comparison its like we grew up as puppies. we were constantly fighting, biting and scratching our way to be on the top of the heap, the apple of our parents’ eye. the madness seemed that it would never end. frankly, I’m surprised we survived it. but now, as the years move on i see him more as an equal and most importantly as a pretty rad dude.

no one else i know can:

  • recite the whole movie Point Break
  • tie his own flies
  • teach himself how to play the guitar
  • know all the words to every song on the radio—ALL THE TIME
  • make a mean gremolatta
  • skateboard like a madman
  • let me put him in Seventeen Magazine as the "would you date this guy" and audition him for J.Crew
  • let me set him up
  • shrugs off the small stuff
  • tie his own bow tie
  • inspire me by going back to school

taking time off next year after he graduates, he’s gonna be living the dream (well mine at least). whilst his big sis will be knee deep in tag lines and body copy, he’ll be traveling/eating his way across Europe, India, China and Israel with only a backpack and a camera.

next week he celebrates his 26th birthday, and i just wanted to take a moment to thank him, tell him i love him.

have to admit i got pretty lucky in the little brother department, i could have gotten stuck with me as a sibling!

3 comments:

Aaron Joseph said...

Having a sister can be a dangerous thing. It can leave you with a scar, a tear on your cheek or sometimes a minor concussion. However, having Sarah as a sister means:

Knowing about all the coolest new things all the time, like bacon flavored mints

Knowing the words to Israeli rap songs

Having conversations about other people using the 14 french words we both know

My sister is an amazing person and getting to know her, has been the greatest adventure of my life. I admire her because:

She has read the books and seen the films that have shaped the modern world, and can reference them on a moment's notice.

She never gives herself a bighead from the amazing work she does

She can rub elbow's with the most important people in the world and be the only one who they will ever have an important conversation with

She shows me everyday the meaning of the word integrity.

I love her and am proud to call her my sister.

Love you bear!

Unknown said...

look at you two getting along. i'm scared. and so is your mother. xo.

couldree said...

aw- I think I'm tearing up a bit...
the only two blogs I read- come together all in one place.
I love it!